Quinoa (Meatless) Meatballs
- ½ cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked green lentils, well drained
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (add additional bread crumbs if the meatballs need to be firmer and aren't holding together well)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Add pre-rinsed quinoa and water to a medium pot, cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed.
- In the meantime, in a large non-stick skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat medium-low and sauté diced onions and bell pepper until tender about 4 minutes, add garlic, parsley and oregano and sauté one additional minute. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sautéed onion, garlic, parsley and oregano along with remaining ingredients, except oil. Mash ingredients until the lentils are well mashed. Shape into 1 ½ “(meatless) meatballs, place in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a large non-stick skillet, heat to medium-low and add quinoa (meatless) meatballs. Cook until browned and heated through, about 16 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel.
Nutrition Information Servings:
4 Serving Size: 2 meatballs
Total Fat: 8.8g
Saturated Fat: 1.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 26.4g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1g